This is an old revision of the document!
A crossing was founded at the spot in the early 19th century, and in 1817 the ferry operation was purchased by George Anderson. He operated it until 1865, when it was taken over by the Kottmyer family, who ran it until the late 20th century. It is still in service today, operated by another member of the Anderson family.
The ferry originally was powered by horses walking on treadmills that, in turn, rotated the paddlewheels. In 1867 steam power was introduced, and in the 1930s diesel-powered sidewheelers were added.