Chronicles of Boone County

User Tools

Site Tools


big_bone_methodist_church

Big Bone Methodist Church

Big Bone Methodist Church One of the two churches located in the Big Bone region, the congregation was organized in 1887. The initial meeting was held in a barroom, with a building constructed soon after.

The church building is a simple, gable-front building with vernacular Gothic Revival and Queen Anne features. The front and side elevations feature two tiers of lancet-arched windows; the double-hung sashes have opaque central panels surrounded by small panes of colored glass. Over the main doorway is a gabled hood, and the gable-peak carries a starburst pattern bargeboard.

The church has been carefully preserved, and still stands on land now part of the state park. It is currently undergoing repairs.

The church was added to the National Register in 1989.

More Information

big_bone_methodist_church.txt · Last modified: 2014/11/17 13:12 by jgregory