Chronicles of Boone County

User Tools

Site Tools


gordon_s_hall

Gordon's Hall

The Petersburg Opera House, also known as Gordon's Hall

Built in 1892 on Market Street in Petersburg, Gordon's Hall was also known as the Petersburg Opera House. The Hall is a mixed-use commercial building. The second-floor hall was used as a dance hall, and orchestras traveled by boat to play there. It was also the site of town meetings. Later, it became a movie theater.

This imposing brick edifice features an original storefront with cast-iron piers and spandrels and culminates in a deep, bracketed cornice.

The building was added to the National Register in 1989.

More Information

gordon_s_hall.txt · Last modified: 2013/04/29 13:23 by jgregory