The Piatt family was a large and prominent family not only in Boone County but the entire Ohio Valley area. Jacob Piatt, who served under General Washington during the Revolutionary War, was the youngest of five sons of John Piatt and Frances Wyckoff. He came to Boone County around 1795 with his wife, Hannah Cook McCullough, and children. Jacob built a grand home called Federal Hall on the Ohio River just north of Petersburg. Jacob served as Boone County Judge for 13 years.
Jacob’s brothers John, Abraham, Daniel also came to the area and their children and descendants were prominent lawyers, bankers and businessmen. There were also two in the literary fields, Donn Piatt was a writer for the Cincinnati newspapers and John James Piatt was a poet.
Jacob’s nephew, Robert Piatt, bought 200 acres of land in East Bend that became Piatt’s Landing and the current site of the East Bend Power Plant.