Set on a high ridge in the Eden Shale hills of southern Boone County, the town of Verona was established in the mid-19th century and became a post office in 1850. One of its first institutions was the New Bethel Baptist Church, formed in 1840.
In the mid-nineteenth century, the southern part of Boone County saw an influx of Irish immigrants who were no doubt escaping the famine in Ireland. A substantial Irish population developed in Verona, where the new arrivals established St. Patrick's Catholic Church. The skilled Irish craftsmen may have constructed many of the stone fences once prominent along southern county turnpikes, as well as the distinctive stone cellars found in many area farms.
By 1879, Verona had 175 residents. Its business district included saw and flour mills, a hardware store, a millinery shop and, in the 1900's, a bank. In the uplands and bottomlands of Verona Precinct, farmers raised livestock and tobacco.
One of the most important institutions of early 20th century Verona was the Verona High School. The school served not only local students but children from counties to the south, who rode the train to attend classes.
By the late 20th century, Verona's commercial importance diminished. Nonetheless many of its original residences still stand, and relative isolation has preserved a number of the outlying farms.